Sunday, October 20, 2013

Muscle spasms a Yin and Yang experience

Many years ago I had muscle spasms all over my back.  Muscle spasms are involuntary contractions of the muscles.  Whenever I tried to move, muscles in my back in different locations would spasm so badly that any action was impossible.  It was completely unpredictable and about the most physically painful thing I have ever experienced.  I didn’t dare to breathe, never mind laugh, and spent days sitting in a chair with a heating pad avoiding to move or talk.

My doctor came to help me out and suggested the following which ended up being the only thing that eased my discomfort.

You take an ice cube and put it directly on where the spasm occurs.  This causes the spasm to contract even more which then allows the muscle to gradually relax.  We applied the ice cube therapy for a few days and it gave me great relief.

It makes perfect sense to me that when an extreme (in this case the contraction) is pushed to it’s limits to the point of no return, that it then tips over into it’s opposite.  A perfect experience of the Yin and Yang dynamic!

And as the picture indicates blood flow needs to be restored to overcome the energy crisis.

I wanted to pass this little wise trick on because I don’t think it is widely known.

~Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment